I haven’t been on Swap Bot for a couple of years after my favourite swaps have ended.
If you’re not in the know: Swap Bot is an online platform created to facilitate group snail mail and internet swaps. It is a trust-based thing – you trust that your partner will send you the swap and your assigned partner trusts that you will send him/her the swap. I’ve completed nine swaps so far and I’ve not been flaked on. I swap exclusively food items only although there are multiple items to swap.
The swap I’ve just received is an International Country Candy / Post Card Swap where you send four types of candy + 1 postcard to your partner.
Sometimes, it’s also a luck thing. I was lucky to have a partner from USA (my favourite country to receive items from) but I sent to someone in Malaysia – unlucky for her as our countries’ products are pretty similar.
I have only tried the Bit-O-Honey and I really like the malted taste.
After I had discovered the Transtar Cross Border service, I am a changed woman when it comes to Johor Bahru day trips.
Instead of squeezing all activities into a day and hiking in the hot heat, I’m all for staying over in JB and enjoying more meals across the causeway.
If you only need a clean and comfortable place to sleep that is a skip and a hop away from City Square, Bello Hotel is your man.
One of the new kids on the block, Bello Hotel only started operations in June 2015. There are only 50 rooms across six floors and yes, there is a lift.
We stayed in a twin room that was small and cosy. The room was quite far away from the lifts so we were spared from the noise.
For the price we paid, approx S$76 for a twin room, I think the hotel is value for money. You get a comfortable bed, air conditioning, rain shower and okay wifi. I’d definitely stay here again if I am staying over in JB.
- Superb location: The hotel is just behind City Square, you can pop by for an afternoon nap if you are tired. After a night’s shopping, you are reassured that the hotel is nearby.
- There is a 7/11 next to the hotel, night hawkers and a few coffee shops in front of the hotel.
- The staff is warm and friendly, there is a leave luggage option if you want to do more shopping or cafe hopping the next day.
The Not So Good
- The bed is not a standard hotel issue bed – it is on the softer side and you feel like you sink into clouds.
- Jalan Meldrum is quite a busy area, plenty of people (esp middle-old aged men) gather in the coffee shops to watch soccer. Think of it as your Chinatown. I don’t feel that this is an issue but plenty of reviewers pointed this out.
- We found a dead cockroach in our shower. No big deal for us, I just picked it up with a tissue paper and flushed it down.
||21 Jalan Meldrum, 80000 Johor Bahru, Malaysia
||Check in: 2pm, Check out: 12 noon
|How to get there
||Walk from City Square