I stayed a night in Penang as part of my overland journey to Bangkok. I was looking for a simple stay near the ferry as the night was meant to break up the monotony of the overland trip.
Container Hotel was more of a hostel than a hotel and it was situated right by the ferry. It’s a great no-frills stay if you’re not too picky.
Container Hotel group operates multiple hotels in Malaysia, including Ipoh and Kuala Lumpur. The concept is similar, a budget hotel option housed in containers. You can’t see it from the exterior but inside, the rooms are made in refurbished containers.
We stayed in the female private pod which was super affordable. Your privacy is accorded with the black out blinds.
I recalled four showers and there was a slight wait for showers in the morning.
- Affordable stay by the ferry terminal
- Clean and private pods with reading light and power outlets
- Basic amenities included: drinking water, towel and toothbrush
The not so good
- No wet and dry area for the showers which are really small. I am a petite Asian girl and I have issues manoeuvring around
- Limited number of showers
Would I stay here again?
Probably, for a short stay if I have to utilise the ferry terminal. If you’re flying in, I’d recommend staying within the town area instead. I stayed at Red Inn Penang in 2011 which was a lot more centralised.
|Address||4, Gat Lebuh Chulia, George Town, 10300 George Town, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia|
|Opening hours||24 hours Check-In|
|How to get there||Short walk from Penang Ferry Terminal|
|Google Map||Container Hostel|