If you’re in Bali for a happening beach holiday, tourists typically veer towards Kuta or Seminyak for their hotel. Since I was on an extended two-week trip and I’m not a picky person, I don’t have to stay in a nice hotel. My picks usually lean towards flashpacking (which is sort of a more upscale backpacking) or boutique hotels.
There are some hostels in Kuta and Seminyak that go quite cheaply but they weren’t an option for me because I wanted my own room and didn’t want to deal with noise or party-goers. Man, I’m on holiday. So Legian which was smack between Kuta and Seminyak sounded like a perfect spot for me. It’s easily accessible to both areas and sounded more laid back.
It took a lot of Googling and research before I found Kubu Kauh Beach Inn. On TripAdvisor, the Inn does not have a lot of recent reviews and seemed to have just gone through an overhaul. The inn is more like a home stay as compared to a boutique hotel as it is operated by a local family.
Initially when I arrived, I had some issues with room availability because I had my dates swopped around. Thankfully, they managed to sort things out. If you’re heading to Kubu Kauh, here’s a guide to walking into the place because even after staying for 4/5 nights, I still get lost in this maze.
Congratulations on navigating the maze!
I thought it was quite unique because of the mix of traditional and modern living spaces.
There is free hot water (kept in a flask) with tea bags and coffee. It’s nice to hang out in the morning.
Over all, I think it’s a simple and cosy space but definitely not for the picky. The highlight of my stay:
Kubu Kauh Beach Inn is also listed on AirBnB but I recommend that you book via their website instead as it is way cheaper. I have no idea why too, probably, it’s a cut that AirBnB takes.
The good stuff
- Situated in a quiet area with a local family that is very friendly and warm!
- One of the most affordable stays in the area with air-conditioning and an en-suite toilet. There are non-airconditioned rooms that go for a cheaper price.
- Convenience store and restaurants just round the corner, so is the beach!
- The Kubu brothers are experienced surfers and can provide surf guiding lessons. They also can help to organise tours around Bali.
The not so good stuff
- The area gets rather quiet and dark at night. If you’re a lone solo female traveler, just take heed and walk very quickly.
- I have mentioned this before but I really dislike the thin water stream from the showers. The low water pressure seems to be consistent throughout Bali.
- Single power point — but this seems to apply to most cheap stays in Bali.
Enjoyed my stay with the Kubu family and this will definitely be an option for me if I am in the area again.
Kubu Kauh Beach Inn Legian
Jl Lebak Bena, Gang Senen
Legian, Kelod, Kuta, Bali